Friday, May 9, 2008

A taste of California

One of my housemates is filming a movie in our kitchen, and it's a disaster in there. This means two things: one, that I'm not going to be able to take a photo of the produce I got at the last co-op pickup of the year, as most of it is stashed away in said kitchen, and secondly, that I'm temporarily forced to go to my friend Emily's house if I want to cook. This is not a bad thing, as Emily is a great cook and my habitual partner in culinary crime. It was she that conceived of the idea for our dinner last night: fish tacos. Emily also happens to be from the Bay area, where they're big on fish tacos, and together we produced a rather delicious (and rather photogenic) meal.

First, let me just tell you what I did get at the co-op (you can use your imagination to picture the beautiful array in your mind): a bag of green beans, a pint of strawberries, a peach, a bunch of red chard, red potatoes, and a pint of cherry tomatoes, which we used last night. We also used up the avocadoes from last week's pickup, which by last night were perfectly ripe.

Here's the salsa that would crown our tacos:

















Basically a take on last week's salsa, only the corn was sauteed, not roasted, and (blessedly) with the addition of cilantro. Next up, shades of green on the plate of fixins: avocado, cilantro and lime wedges:

















And finally, the main event. We pan-seared pre-marinated mahi-mahi, let it rest, and then flaked it. Piled some fish in warm griddled corn tortillas, added plenty of toppings, and enjoyed the tacos with some steamed broccoli doused with lime juice and a sprinkle of good sea salt:

















As they say in Mexico (or Frisco, as the case may be): ¡buen provecho!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

in my future--definitely a salsa, perhaps guacamole, maybe some margaritas to7m
7m.cn take advantage of those limes. And I better get to cooking, because I still have a ton of produce left over from last week's pickup.